Professional Development Committee
At a glance:
- Promote and support the practice of professional development – that is, the advancement of skills, expertise, and knowledge to succeed in the economic development profession.
- Facilitate support for GEDA members preparing for professional certification.
- Promote and administer the GEDA professional development grant program.
A key part of GEDA’s mission is to support the continual professional development of our members. One of the key ways we do this is through our professional development grant program which involves an annual competitive application process coordinated by this committee. GEDA’s professional development grant program is the largest of its kind among state associations.
Are you working to gain the skills and knowledge to be among the best in the economic development profession in serving those you serve? Apply for a grant from GEDA to help you move forward in your professional development journey and meet your goals!
This committee also connects GEDA members with opportunities to help them prepare for professional certifications such as the Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) designation by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC).
About the Professional Development Grants
Grants are offered during three rounds during the calendar year. Funding for each grant will be available in each round until funds are expended or the program(s) supported by the grant have taken place.
Applications must be received by midnight on the posted deadline in order to be reviewed by the committee.
Application submittals should include the completed application (all sections) and two letters of recommendation. Applications submitted by the deadline without the letters of recommendation will not be reviewed by the committee.
Applicants who decide to apply for more than one grant during a given calendar year may use the same letters of support during said year. (Letters of support from previous calendar years to the year seeking the grant should not be submitted.)
Applicants should apply for only one grant per round.
If awarded a grant, an applicant may be awarded up to one grant per calendar year.
Awarded grant funds should be used for future events only. Grant funds will be provided on a cost reimbursement basis for expenses incurred up to the amount of the available grant. (Awardees will be provided an expense form to submit to GEDA for cost reimbursement requests.)
Applications can be accessed in digital form by clicking on the program name on the list of grants. Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications by email to the contact provided in the application.
GEDA 2013 Grant Opportunities:
|Basic Economic Development Course - Atlanta||March 12-15, 2013||Unavailable||Unavailable|
|GEDA Spring Workshop||May 15-17, 2013||Unavailable||Unavailable|
|GEDA Annual Conference||September 25-27, 2013 (Hyatt Savannah)||Four (4) at $600||Feb 1, Mar 29, Aug 2|
|Community Development Institute||Various||Unavailable||Unavailable|
|Economic Development Institute (EDI)||Various||Unavailable||Unavailable|
|Penn Worden Grant*||Various||$650 available funds||Feb 1, Mar 29, Aug 2|
|International Missions Grant||Various||Two (2) at $1000||Feb 1, Mar 29, Aug 2|
*APPLICATIONS* for all awards and grants can be found by clicking on the program name or through the linked page at the bottom of this page.
*Funds from the Penn Worden Grant may be used by GEDA members toward any accredited economic development program OR by non-GEDA members representing a community not already represented in GEDA toward the cost of one-year’s membership within GEDA.
See below for a schedule of courses and events known by GEDA to support the economic development profession.
For more information, contact Committee Chair Joy Wilkins.
2013 Action Plan
GOAL: Promote and support the practice of professional development.
- Create a GEDA Professional Development Calendar to include known and relevant offerings for economic development professionals.
- Promote the use of recognition labels/ribbons for professional certifications (CEcD, EDFP, etc.) on name badges at GEDA events.
- Promote the pursuit of professional certifications in economic development (CEcD, EDFP, etc.).
GOAL: Facilitate support for GEDA members preparing for the CEcD.
- Determine when to offer the next GEDA CEcD prep course and plan accordingly.
- Continue to support CEcD study groups per request.
- Continue to connect CEcD mentors with GEDA members preparing for the CEcD.
- Co-host CEcD exam in Atlanta.
GOAL: Promote and administer GEDA professional development grant program.
- Develop administration and marketing plan with timeline and tasks associated with three rounds of offerings.
- Review the grant administration process (for application submittal and review) for opportunities for continual improvement.
- Update web site and flyers with grant information.
- Promote grant recipients in varied forms of communication (web site, newsletter, announcements, flyers, etc.)
- Collect feedback (on grant process and value of the grant-supported training or program) and testimonials through an online survey from grant recipients. (Testimonials will be featured on web site and potentially other forms of communication to be determined).
Click here to see related Documents (Members Only)